Motorsport & Defence Engineering Consultancy
Chief Engineer – Large Engines
South East England£50-65k
Position Title: Chief Engineer – Large Engines
Location: South East England
Department: Engines Product Group
Our client is a world leading, multi-industry consultancy specialised in supplying complex engineering, avant-garde technology, project innovation & strategic solutions to the Automotive, Transport & Energy industries.
Working in collaboration with the world’s major transportation Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s), supply chain organizations, energy companies, financial institutions & governments, our client employs over 2000+ professional consultants, engineers and specialist staff on a global scale.
They have being delivering unbeatable service for well over a century and are committed to maintaining that record by pumping resources into their dedicated product groups and strengthening their efforts in order to continue providing outstanding value through quality engineering solutions focused on high efficiency, low emission, class-leading product innovation and robust strategic implementation.
Based in the South East of the UK, reporting to the Divisional Head, the role will be responsible for activities in the Large Engine team of the Engines Product Group. This will involve assisting in development of the Large Engine technology portfolio, project delivery activities and developing Large Engine proposals. The Large Engine business includes the full spectrum of large stationary power generation, rail and marine engines running a variety of fuels such as diesel, HFO and gas.
Your everyday tasks will include the provision of technical and commercial leadership in proposal preparation and development, and project delivery. You will be comfortable in meeting new customers and developing relationships, so that in time you are able to work closely with commercial and sector lead teams to win and deliver engines business.
In the Chief Engineer role your precise level of responsibility will depend on your background experience. Applicants at E grade as well as F grade will be considered. The large variety of work managed by the Product Group will require a candidate willing to gain new technical and commercial skills. Both ‘on the job’ and formal training will be available for the successful candidate. It is anticipated the applicant will demonstrate an interest in all aspects of the automotive industry and is keen to maintain a strong background on latest technology updates presented across the worldwide markets.
Accountability / Key Responsibilities
- Helping to define new business streams for Engines and developing associated selling strategies and supporting material (maximizing Global Product Group offerings)
- Providing technical lead in developing business opportunities with relevant material and preparing proposals in response to Request For Quotations
- Development of proposals (documentation, plans, costing, commercial package) for global customers through to order conversion with support of senior staff
- Support development of company technology strategy and product offerings for engines
- Technical leadership of assigned Engines Product Group projects by:
- Defining technical resource requirements for successful project execution
- Maximizing team performance using standard processes
- Leading technical reviews
- Primary technical interface with client
- Validation of work undertaken including approval of technical reporting
- Developing and maintaining client network and relationships with senior level customer counterparts (Chief Engineer level and above)
- Mentoring key engineers and identifying requirements for skills development where required.
Personal ProfileYou are a degree qualified engineer with a minimum of 5 years’ industry experience in engine engineering. You will have a strong technical background in at least one area of engines specialisation (e.g.: design, application engineering, etc.), but some experience of “job rotation” across other functions will be appreciated. You will be seeking a move into a dynamic and challenging environment that will broaden your experience and reward you with increased levels of responsibility and ownership. In order to be successful, you will need to demonstrate:
- Experience of product development within ideally the large engine business or with experience of larger size engines in the Heavy Duty Diesel sector.
- Credibility to handle a range of customer situations (appropriate coaching will be provided)
- An aptitude to provide a strong level of leadership and ability to coordinate and lead multi-disciplined teams (appropriate coaching will be provided)
- A desire to develop strong project management skills with a strong element of process control
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills at all levels
- High degree of flexibility and willingness to travel
- Strong personal drive and motivation to succeed
- A strong level of patience in dealing with clients and team situations coupled with an ability to accept and positively respond to frequent changes
- An ability to work at times under pressure and very tight timescales
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
- High level of pro-active idea generation and promotion of business cases for IP generation
- Being a benchmark for upholding company values
UK CITIZENS ONLY PLEASE
To register your interest in this position please call James Heaton on +44 (0)75 0000 9048